Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Sam Reviews LIVE (Wires On Fire @ Knitting Factory)

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Sam (© Trent Weisman)

In the relatively short time I've known her, my good friend Sam has opened my eyes and ears to a lot of music, broadening my musical tastes and sparking curiosity within me to find out more. So when she asked to contribute reviews to Get the Door, It's Matzah, how could I say no?

Hopefully, this will be the first of many reviews from her. Without further introduction, here's Sam's first review for Get the Door, It's Matzah:

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Wires on Fire

I must first say that I have been into Wires On Fire since the very first time I saw them on my 16th birthday when they were called The Fallen. I had only known the singer/guitarist, Evan Weiss, as being that dreamy guy in jazz band at school, but when I saw them play at the Knitting Factory on my sweet 16, I swooned for their intense rock performance.

It has been 2½ years, almost to the day, since I fell head over heels for this band. They have progressed quite a bit since those early years and now put on some of the greatest rock shows I've ever seen…there I said it.

Their show on July 7th at the Knitting Factory was no exception. The crowd was filled with over-dressed and over-privileged kids who were there to "support" their friends, rather then listen to the music. However, this had no effect on the band who instead used the experience to smooth out some new songs for their upcoming tour.

Wires On Fire surged enough energy during their show for the entire three-stage venue, even the motionless felt the swell of feedback and noise in their blood. The whole band moved around the stage in a dirty, commanding way, yet when watching them, one could see that their movements, although harsh and intense, had a graceful appeal...even Jeff Lynn's seductive motions had their own allure.

The new songs bring something slightly different to the table. "Million Dollar Maybes" is my probably my new favorite. The intricate guitar solos leave you hot and ready for more. Wires On Fire have also nailed the art of cover songs, a feat that is often awfully executed. They perform "I'm Eighteen" flawlessly off of Alice Coopers' greatest record, Love It To Death, even adding a soaring saxophone to the mix. They sometimes throw in Circle Jerks' "Beverly Hills" as a transition piece…it works wonders, let me tell you.

This band truly gets better and better each time I see them. To say the least, their show is like no other and is not to be missed. Pick up their split with Record Collection's The Mean Reds where you can hear "Million Dollar Maybes" and "I'm Eighteen" here.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey, i was there!!! i couldnt have sex that night because someone wanted a balloon.

4:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I want to have sex with you

5:40 PM  
Anonymous Xian Blows said...

Nice work.

6:08 PM  
Anonymous Alex said...

I love you Sam!

12:13 AM  
Anonymous Trent said...

A very well written review by a very beautiful girl.

9:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll just post the obvious, I want to hit this baby doll all night long.

4:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home