Sunday, May 01, 2005

Matzah's Back from Coachella!

I'm back! I enjoyed Coachella and the freaks, indie children (and their parents), and scorching heat that came along with it. But, when I am forced to choose between bands, that is where I draw the line. With all complaints aside, here's the list of bands I saw during my one and only Day 1. Feel free to disagree.

COACHELLA!

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Buck 65 (© Matzah)

Buck 65 - Canadian rapper with raspy, Tom Waits-ish vocals, rapping about his abnormally large penis. I can dig it.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Radio 4 (© Matzah)

Radio 4 - Gang of Four ripoffs play politically charged music, complete with bongo drums. Yawn...

Jamie Cullum - British songster covers Pharell's 'Frontin'' and Coldplay's 'We Never Change', accompanied by loudspeaker troubles. Thanks, but no thanks.

DJ Peretz (Perry Farrell) - Reaffirms Farrell's bout with insanity.

Eisley - Spent more time apologizing for the stage's technical troubles than performing. Oh well, it's probably better that way anyways.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Razorlight (© Matzah)

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Razorlight (© Matzah)

Razorlight - Aside from 'Golden Touch,' the band represented an ego they can't live up to. Razorlight frontman Johnny Borrell also displayed his poor climbing skills trying to scale a column on the left side of the stage, only to find himself trapped with a twisted microphone cord ten feet above the stage. Keep up the good work Razorlight (just not in the states)!

Wilco - Stuck around long enough for Jeff Tweedy and company to play 'I am Trying to Break Your Heart'. Goddamm, that is a great song.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
MF Doom (© Matzah)

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
MF Doom (© Matzah)

MF Doom - Worth showing up early thirty minutes early for. The masked Doom, sporting a vintage Patrick Ewing New York Knicks jersey, rapped over amusing beats with vocals that were too hard to understand. Good shit!

Bloc Party - A fucking disaster! The overhyped NME posterchildren packed their Mojave Tent tenfold, prompting unbearable closeness and painful stampeding. Worst of all, I couldn't breathe!

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Coldplay (© Matzah)

Coldplay - Not my thing, but a strong performance nevertheless. Unfortunately, when I wandered over to the 'Outdoor Stage' to catch some of the Spoon performance, only to discover technical problems and anxious fans, I missed the 'best' part of the Coldplay set. While waiting for Spoon to perform, I missed a song Coldplay wrote for Johnny Cash and a short cover of Johnny Cash's rendition of NIN's 'Hurt'. Thanks a lot Spoon! And, not to mention, Chris Martin leaping offstage during the encore was fucking awesome!

Spoon - Started fifteen minutes later than expected, still boring as ever. Simply put, a waste of time. Should've stuck with Coldplay.

NOTE: I am fully aware I missed Bauhaus and I am not proud of it. Give me a break.

Before I end this post, I'd like to thank all of you who read my blog and encourage you to keep supporting 'Get the Door, It's Matzah'. I have new interviews to post, contests to announce, and even more Matzah to share with all of you.

7 Comments:

Anonymous cali said...

matzah!
Spoon were fucking awesome and Coldplay is for bedwetters. get your head out of your ass.

1:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Judging from the photo, you're probably the girl we let in front of us for Radio 4. I don't know why you would be so insistent (and you were quite pushy indeed) on taking pictures of a band you're totally intending to rip on no matter what. But, just for the sake of argument, and barring your failed attempts at hipster irony and the highly unoriginal GO4 comparison (have you actually heard their music or did you read that simile on Pitchfork?), the guys were excellent (as always). Perhaps you'd have noticed smiling, dancing people around you if you hadn't been so focused at ogling the band from close proximity.
Oh and I know you don't love them, but somehow I have a feeling I'll be seeing you pushing your way to the front at the next Spoon show.

10:19 PM  
Blogger Matzah said...

to anonymous,
firstly, i am a dude and wasnt forceful with anyone in the audience, nor was i insistent on taking pictures. secondly, aside from the audience's reactions (you must realize that each coachella band already has a fan base at the festival, so each set they are really playing to a majority of their own fans), those were my thoughts from the set. third, it doesnt take an idiot to realize that radio 4 does rip off gang of four (especially the NME bands these days). and lastly, i really dislike pitchfork (for several reasons), but mostly because their reviews are hit or miss and they think they can predict what's hip, and therefore, they must be hip, because 'big label a&r' reads their website. thanks for reading my blog tho, even if you disagree with me.

oh and p.s, i own the first radio 4 record and i saw them open for the libertines. when i first heard it, i liked it, but i lost interest in it fast. and im a HUGE gang of four fan.

10:27 PM  
Anonymous Nico said...

All I can dude, is Im very dissapointed in you not seeing NIN....

7:58 PM  
Anonymous TURDBREADTH said...

Why did you go to Coachella and see only bands you hate!??? And then take pictures of them?!? Do you not enjoy fun weirdo??!?

3:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

dispite what other people say, i just wanna let you know that i, personally, do enjoy your blog. keep up the good work "get the door its matzah".

2:56 PM  
Blogger doer said...

Hello, just visited your blog, it's informative. I also have a better sex life related website, hope that it is useful to you

4:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home