Sunday, May 29, 2005

Matzah Reviews LIVE (The Icarus Line @ Troubadour)

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

I expected to be blown away by the long awaited return of The Icarus Line at the Troubadour last friday night. With a lineup of Darker My Love, Jim Brown (of Bluebird) and Dim Mak Records' newly signed Icarus Line (The Like excluded), how could you go wrong? Right?

Wrong. Not to say that the night was a dissapointment, but I was surprised by several of the acts. Having reluctantly skipped Darker My Love, I began my night with Jim Brown. Originally expecting something similar to his band, Bluebird, I was immediately caught off guard. Jim looked more like the stage technician, until I slowly realized that he was performing, not testing out the instruments. Accompanied by a drum machine, a guitar, and a bass, Jim played each instrument by himself, recorded it, and looped it, creating a surreal ambiance of drum loop mantras, tribal like singing, and primitive dancing, complemented by equally strange lighting.

Next came The Like. I must admit, I had low expectations for them. I've had the priveledge (ha!) of experiencing similar (or so I thought) 3 piece girl outfits and have been thoroughly dissapointed time and time again. I half expected Z Berg and The Like to follow the same lines as the others. They didn't. Z's voice shines, backed by herself on guitar, Charlotte Froom on bass guitar, and Tennessee Thomas on drums. Their unique brand of introspective pop rock exploded into a full blown rock performance and I dug every moment of it. Oh my god, I just admitted I liked The Like. Fuck man.

Following The Like were the headliners of the night, The Icarus Line, who were introduced with a steamy performance from goth go-go dancers. After the girls filed offstage, primadonna Joe Cardamone and the Icarus Line entered. They were dissapointing, to say the least. They stuck with material from their upcoming album 'Black Lives at the Golden Coast,' which has turned me away from their music.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
(© Andrew Jacobsen)

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
The Icarus Line (© Andrew Jacobsen)

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
The Icarus Line (© Andrew Jacobsen)

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
The Icarus Line (© Andrew Jacobsen)

Their entire performance wasn't exactly a bust. The Captain is still awesome after all these years and can still play drums the way they should be played under the circumstances - with no mercy. They also played 'Caviar,' 'On The Lash,' and 'Spit On It,' all from their critically acclaimed album, V2 Records' Penance Soiree. All the while, Joe Cardamone pranced around onstage, looking lost until it was his turn to sing. You could hardly hear the dude and his inaudible muttering in between songs didn't help the cause. Next time, turn the vocals up.

Here's the setlist:
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

1. Golden Rush
2. Caviar
3. Better Tastin Teeth
4. Watch Your Step
5. On the Lash
6. Cut Back the Herd
7. Victory Garden
8. Fashion Fever
9. Frankfurt Smile
10. Slayer
11. Spit On It

Matzah's Ratings:

Jim Brown:
B

The Like:
B+

The Icarus Line:
B-/C+

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

it was that bad? wow...

11:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

nah, i was there and it was killer. joe's vocals weren't as loud as they should have been, but they put on a sick show. the new material is different but in a good way.
This guy's trippin balls. dude, they can't put out the same sounds with every record. change is good.

10:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was there too. The vocals sucked ass. I could only hear him in 3 songs. And I was there right in front!! Fuck. This must've been off night. I couldn't hear his mumbling either. I hope they're way better and joe sings louder when they come by to the club moscow in hollywood. I'm totally looking forward. Its kind of sucky that they didn't play up against the wall and party the baby off. I mean depriving us of mono material is bad enough but they should at least play singles like those. Feed a cat to your cobra would've saved the night too audible or not. __L.R

6:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh yeah and for their record the music from the new record is gonna be dope from what i heard at the trouabadour. It was all groovy. --L.R

6:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

was caleb from cave in on bass again?

10:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yes caleb was on bass. he was pretty good, but not quite yet on the same level as the rest of the band.

1:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I saw 'em in Santa Cruz, the vocals sucked ass as well and I was right in front as well. Joe needs to drop the 'tude, no need if you're not going to make an effort to be heard.

3:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Joe tried to fuck my little sister... and shes 16. dude is not cool.

7:51 PM  
Blogger Andre Alforque said...

Glad to hear you liked 'the like'. They were recently signed and will be releasing their album on 9/13/2005.

/very shameful plug.

3:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yo ! You have to see this: garden lighting.
The best in toutdoor lighting design, installation and service:
garden lighting

10:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

jim brown was awesome... and form what i heard, he was even better in san diego.

5:30 PM  
Blogger Blog World said...

i was just browsing through the blog world searching for the keyword posters and it brought me to your site. You have a great site however it is not exactly what i was looking for. Good luck on your site.

6:33 PM  
Anonymous Analyzer said...

Your site M zah, is cool. When I was searching for Checkweigher yours was one of the best. While working on my site Checkweigher I have been seeking ways to make it better and found yours to be helpful. Thanks!

11:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home