Thursday, March 31, 2005

Matzah Reviews + UPenn Loves Sonic Youth

Hello to you all. I apologize for not posting in a few days, I've been working obsessively on a review I'm debuting tonight. In case you haven't caught on, I've decided to add another feature to my blog, called 'Matzah Reviews.' For the time being, I primarily plan to review new singles. Hopefully, I can increase my vocabulary and strengthen my writing skills, with the hopes of eventually reviewing albums. Without further ado, I'm proud to present the first of many reviews:

Matzah Reviews:

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Death From Above 1979 - Better Off Dead (Single)
[Now Available for Purchase on ITunes]

Clocking in at 2:19, 'Better Off Dead' reaffirms DFA1979's talent for writing short, catchy songs. With rapid fire drums, contorted bass, and drummer Sebastian Grainger's wailing vocals, 'Better Off Dead' definitely falls in line with DFA1979's older material. However, 'Better Off Dead' lacks certain elements of the DFA1979 style, the most noticeable being the synth, which DFA1979 generally relies on for added depth. Bassist Jessie Keeler also contributes stronger backup vocals, in comparison to his efforts on 'You're a Woman, I'm a Machine.' With that being said, 'Better Off Dead' is a catchy song. However, stacked against their older material, 'Better Off Dead' doesn't come close. With the song's unusually memorable chorus and distorted, melodic bass, Producer Paul Epworth (who also produced Bloc Party and Futureheads) may have geared DFA1979's dance-grunge sound towards a wider audience. I've heard better from DFA1979, but I applaud their efforts nevertheless on 'Better Off Dead' and I can't wait to hear more material!

Matzah's Rating:
B

AND

'Go Play Somewhere Else,' says UPenn Students to Sonic Youth.

AND

MTV's 'You Hear It First' profiles Death From Above 1979. If MTV thinks it's cool, shouldn't you catch on by now?

ALSO:

Big thanks to Scott at Strange Reaction for linking me to his site. His dedication to punk music has put forth a great read: an in-depth blog, covering many genres within punk music. Having covered the Misfits, the Wipers, Nervous Gender, and Black Flag (among many other bands), Scott also releases great songs (often b-sides or sessions) with each post. What are you waiting for? Go check his shit out.

6 Comments:

Blogger doer said...

Hello, just visited your blog, it's informative. I also have a better sex life related website, hope that it is useful to you

1:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

heh cool blog you have here!

I noticed you have a nice blog, read all of your links kept me interested for a good time! well done :)

Thanks for a good read instead of some of the other stuff people post here!

9:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey nice info you posted.
I just browsing through some blogs and came across yours!

Excellent blog, good to see someone actually uses em for quality posts.

Your site kept me on for a few minutes unlike the rest :)

Keep up the good work!

Thanks!.

9:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a *eBay misspelled auction search site/blog. It pretty much covers misspelled auction info and can really save a bundle using thisf.


Come and check it out if you get time :-)

5:20 AM  
Blogger superlong said...

Cool site on long penis Check out my Penis Enlargement

4:43 AM  
Blogger superlong said...

Cool site on average penis length Check out my Penis Enlargement

8:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home